Osaka's Food Culture - Curry Rice (カレーライス)

07:04 Unknown 0 Comments

When you first sees the word 'curry', which taste would come to your mind first ? Spicy right ? Well, if you have not eaten before Japanese-style curry, it is not spicy at all, in fact, I would say it is tends to be sweet. Japanese themselves possess a weak tastebud for spicy food that they have adapt most of their cuisine to suits the mild tastebud.

The 1st curry house I visited was Fukujima Top Grade Curry House (福島上等カレー) and there wasn't any waiters bringing over the menu, instead you could just simply purchased the tickets of the dish which you preferred through the ticket vending machine. I think it is really good for travelers who had difficulties speaking Japanese.



This is the one I have ordered - pork cutlet curry rice. The special part was the pork cutlet is deep fried and then curry gravy is poured over the rice and the cutlet itself.




In order to 'excite' my tastebud, I challenged on the hot spice powder which can be found laterally on the table. The instructions reads ... "It will become one time spicier after one shake." I did 7-8 times and I can feel the kick coming in. Sorry, can I have more water please ?


You Might Also Like

0 comments: